Welcome to my blog. If you're addicted to books, like I am, then you've come to the right place. I mostly write about books and my experiences reading them. These are very personal book reviews. (If you can even call them book reviews...) I’m a true believer that none of us lives in a vacuum. When you read a book, watch a movie, listen to a song, etc., you absorb that art form into your life experience, and it changes you. But you also change it, because no two people see anything the same way. The way I interpret a novel may be totally different from the way you will. It’s still the same novel, but the meaning for each of us is unique. Once you express that meaning, it changes the art. So these posts are about how these books fit into my life. I’d love to hear how they fit into yours. Please make comment and share your experience.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Drowning in Library Holds

Why is it that as soon as I’ve found 2-3 books that I want to read, all of my library hold requests become available---even the ones I’ve been waiting on for months and months?  Seriously?!  How am I supposed to read all of these books?  Here is what is on my table at the moment:
The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan.  This is the 2nd time I’ve checked this out and the 2nd time I’m going to return it without reading it.  Someday I’ll get to it. Sigh.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.  A book club pick.  Luckily I’ve finished this one.  Due today, so I renewed it.  Just need to write the review before I return it. 
Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber.   I finished this one, too.  Just have to write the review.  (It was also due today and renewed!) 
The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk.  This is one of my favorite books.  I read it maybe 12-15 years ago.  I’d been thinking about it a lot lately and I wanted to re-read it.  My own copy disappeared at some point; I think I loaned it to my sister and it got left behind in one of her many International moves…  There are only two copies in all the libraries in Western Michigan, so I figured it would be weeks or months between the time I requested it and the time it arrived at my local branch.  It took 2 days.  Anyway, I’m about 130 pages into it at the moment.  (Also due today and renewed!)
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness---I requested this four months ago---why now????  Due 7/6.  The first eleven pages have not impressed me.  This one may get abandoned. 
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson.  Everyone is talking about this book.  I requested it four months ago, and it becomes available when I have 6 other books to deal with!  Luckily I can let this one go in peace since my dad is loaning me his copy.  No stress for this one.
The Help by Katharine Stockett, a book club pick for August.  Got some time before the club meets, but it’s due back next week…
Read fast, Jen.  How much sleep do you need anyway?

1 comment:

  1. The Help was very good, you shouldn't have a problem breezing right through it!

    ReplyDelete