Welcome to my blog. If you're addicted to books, like I am, then you've come to the right place. I mostly write about books and my experiences reading them. These are very personal book reviews. (If you can even call them book reviews...) I’m a true believer that none of us lives in a vacuum. When you read a book, watch a movie, listen to a song, etc., you absorb that art form into your life experience, and it changes you. But you also change it, because no two people see anything the same way. The way I interpret a novel may be totally different from the way you will. It’s still the same novel, but the meaning for each of us is unique. Once you express that meaning, it changes the art. So these posts are about how these books fit into my life. I’d love to hear how they fit into yours. Please make comment and share your experience.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Notes on the book life

It’s been a few days since I’ve been able to post.  Mostly I’ve been busy with life and kids and work and house guests, but I’ve also been reading and I went to a book club meeting! 
Here’s what I’ve read since I last posted:
I finished the Sharing Knife series by Lois McMaster Bujold, reading the 3rd book, Passage, and the 4th book, Horizon.  So sad to finish that series---I loved the characters and had a hard time putting these books down; they are total page-turners.  I savored the last 100 pages and still haven’t returned them to the library yet, re-reading my favorite parts over again.   I’m working on the review for the series at the moment. 
I have read some more in Malcolm Gladwell’s What the Dog Saw, which is a great collection of his favorite articles from The New Yorker magazine.  They are all really great little shorts for when you’ve got 20 minutes to kill. 
I’ve started reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot which is another book club choice.   I’m about halfway through it and so far, I am impressed.  This is non-fiction at its most enjoyable.  This writer is amazing.  It’s like the story leaps out at you.  It’s emotion-riddled, too—happy, sad, funny, infuriating, devastating and uplifting.  I’m just devouring it at this point.  
I also started listening to Off Armageddon Reef, by David Weber, on CD.  It’s the first in his "Safehold" series and I’m only listening to it until I can pick up the actual book at the library.  The book on CD was available first. 
On Wednesday I met with a book club to discuss Strength in What Remains.  It was a nice mix of people and we had some interesting discussion.  Tomorrow, I’m meeting with the Inforum leisure book club to discuss Await Your Reply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment