Welcome to my blog. If you're addicted to books, like I am, then you've come to the right place. I mostly write about books and my experiences reading them. These are very personal book reviews. (If you can even call them book reviews...) I’m a true believer that none of us lives in a vacuum. When you read a book, watch a movie, listen to a song, etc., you absorb that art form into your life experience, and it changes you. But you also change it, because no two people see anything the same way. The way I interpret a novel may be totally different from the way you will. It’s still the same novel, but the meaning for each of us is unique. Once you express that meaning, it changes the art. So these posts are about how these books fit into my life. I’d love to hear how they fit into yours. Please make comment and share your experience.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Emma, abandoned

In a conference room at my office, the idea was born:  A little book club for the readers who were always talking books over the tops of the cubicles.  Our first pick, quite by accident, was the Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, prompting all of us to say--- “Hey we should read all the Jane Austen Books!”  It seemed like such a great idea.  We’d read one every other month for a year and be Austen Experts.  And as we read them we could review the corresponding chapter in the Jane Austen Book Club at the end. Fun, right? 

Putting it into practice, however, has had a few bumps.  Maybe we picked the wrong book with which to start.  October was Emma.  One by one, all five of us abandoned her.  We were all sort of enjoying it, but not enough to stick with it.  Maureen claimed bad timing—it needs to be a winter-Sunday-afternoon- kind-of-book, not a busy-fall-during-marching-band-season book, when you only have 15 minute blocks at a time to read.  For me, it was just too much of a meandering plot or lack thereof.  Maybe I’ll finish it someday…
So this is the non-review for Jane Austen’s Emma:  I started it.  Emma is a smart, but Clueless busybody.    And she’s kinda bitchy.  Mr. Knightly (George, not John) is a solid 9 on the HTAF scale but not hot enough for me to keep my hands on him…I mean the book.  I made it to page 172.  But I do know how it ends thanks to Gweneth Paltrow and Wikipedia. 
We’re going to take a hiatus from Austen for a few months…

No comments:

Post a Comment